BMSB Heat Treatments
Australia and New Zealand
To prevent the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (BMSB) from invading Australia and New Zealand, quarantine measurements are imposed on certain exported cargoes. These cargoes need to undergo treatment in the export country, before being allowed to be imported to Australia and New Zealand. Control Union is experienced in treating insects with heat in various modalities and is licensed to perform BMSB Heat Treatments under license NL4005SB. We offer flexible BMSB treatments on a daily basis. Please contact us to learn more.
Control Union Pest Management is part of the Peterson and Control Union group of companies
Read more about Control Union Pest Management.
Read more about the treatments used in pest management.
Why choose Control Union Pest Management?
Renowned for its innovative and dynamic approach, our group provides clients with high-quality and cost-effective solutions to meet every challenge large and small.
Brown Marmorated Stink Bug
What is BMSB?
The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (Halyomorpha halys), or BMSB, is an invasive stink bug native to East Asia. It is found in Japan, Taiwan, China, and Korea, among other places. The bug has spread worldwide since the early 21st century and has become a major pest of vegetables and tree fruits in the United States. Annually, it causes millions of dollars of crop damage and pest management costs.
To export cargoes to New Zealand and Australia, these must be free of the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (BMSB). All cargoes are suitable for application of BMSB treatments. Directly as 20ft and 40ft, OT, Out-of-Gauge or Flatrack, or LCL in our certified HT chamber. Containers or out-of-gauge and flatrack parcels are delivered on the trailer, which is uncoupled.
Export to Australia
Seasonal measures for BMSB in Australia
Australia has a number of import rules, which are determined by the Australian government. Read which seasonal measures are determined for BMSB on the Australian Government website.
Control Union Pest Management
Control Union has been in the global pest management business since early 2016, and has over 100 years’ experience in securing organizations’ vital cargo. Renowned for its innovative and dynamic approach, our group provides clients with high-quality and cost-effective solutions to meet every challenge large and small. We have offered flexible BMSB treatments from the beginning of the scheme. Building on our existing network, client base and presence, we’re continuing to expand our operations worldwide through our port-to-port pest management services. We are also active in sectors such as (organic) bulk commodities treatments and rat and mouse control. Control Union has offices in more than 70 countries. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions, we are happy to help you with all kinds of questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
On our Frequently Asked Questions page you will find answers to the questions we get asked the most about our BMSB service.
Read more about the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (BMSB)
Frequently Asked Questions
Every (sub)part of the cargo must be able to be handled to the core (56 degrees Celsius for 30mn). We will find a solution for any kind of goods and way the container is loaded.
We charge flat rates for 20′, 40′, Flatracks and Out of Gauge Containers.
We are also specialized in mobile treatment of large objects on site. Please contact us to ask for the possibilities. To know more about the specific cost of a treatment please request an offer.
From the 1st September 2022 until (inclusions) 30th April 2023
Depending on the type and amount of cargo, the process takes about 6 to 7 hours. Normally we agree on day 1 <16.00 delivery, day 2>08.00 pick-up.
On request we can also handle during the day.
The following information is required for a complete, Australian Government accepted, certificate:
- Commodity type:
- Country of origin:
- Port of loading: Rotterdam
- Country of destination: Australia or New Zealand
- Name and address of exporter:
- Name and address of importer:
We operate in our own indoor Heat Treatment Terminal which is located within a 4PL warehouse close to the Rotterdam Port area (Zwijndrecht, Netherlands). Besides the BMSB treatment, we can load/unload, x-dock, lash and organize all relevant customs formalities at this location.
We are also specialized in mobile handling of large objects on location. Please contact us and ask for the possibilities.
Goods in the categories below are considered high-risk goods and require a mandatory BMSB handling.
- 44 – Wood and articles of wood; wood charcoal
- 45 – Cork and articles of cork
- 57 – Carpets and other textile floor coverings
- 68 – Articles of stone, plaster, cement, asbestos, mica or similar materials
- 69 – Ceramic products – including subchapters I and II
- 70 – Glass and glassware
- 72 – Iron and steel – including subchapters I, II, III, IV
- 73 – Articles of iron or steel
- 74 – Copper and articles thereof
- 75 – Nickel and articles thereof
- 76 – Aluminium and articles thereof
- 78 – Lead and articles thereof
- 79 – Zinc and articles thereof
- 80 – Tin and articles thereof
- 81 – Other base metals; cermet; articles thereof
- 82 – Tools, implements, cutlery, spoons and forks, of base metal; parts of base metal
- 83 – Miscellaneous articles of base metal
- 84 – Nuclear reactors, boilers, machinery and mechanical appliances; parts thereof
- 85 – Electrical machinery and equipment and parts thereof; sound recorders and reproducers, television image and sound recorders and reproducers, and parts and accessories of such articles
- 86 – Railway or tramway locomotives, rolling stock and parts thereof; railroad or tramway track fixtures and fittings and parts thereof; mechanical (including electromechanical) traffic signalling equipment of all kinds
- 87 – Vehicles other than railroad or tramway rolling stock, and parts and accessories thereof
- 88 – Aircraft, spacecraft, and parts thereof
- 89 – Ships, boats and floating structures